Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A ROSE IS A ROSE?

Believe it or not, this is a rose! That's what the Brit watering can folks call this type of device that sprays out water in a "rose" pattern, ever so softly on one's plants! Do Lets! You can see that it is a brass piece with fine holes. It is mated to plastic and works well for say 15 or so years until the plastic deteriorates or cracks and the metal falls out.

I bought my Haws plastic watering can from Smith & Hawken in Palo Alto some 35 or so years ago. It was expensive then but Smith & Hawkin commissioned the Haws folks in Britain to make them a nice one with their logo on it. No cheap Chinese shit for them! I think I paid about $40 for it then. I replaced the rose once when I could get it from S&H.

What's so special about a Haws can, you ask? This top view says it all. The tall, narrow neck keeps the water in it and it doesn't slosh about over the top...especially nice if you've added some lovely dark brown Maxicrop or smelly fish emulsion to the water! Also notice the brace from the spout to the can...so nice for holding when the can is full and heavy.

Here you see the entire can with the new rose attached. Where did I find it? At "Peas & Corn," a company located, it turns out, in Glennville, Georgia! They sell all the Haws cans...from the professional ones that start at $200 down to the plastic which is now about $80 with freight added in. So for $7.99 plus $14.73 UPS, I have a new rose and happy plants...not to mention a happy gardener...that would be me!

No comments:

Post a Comment