Wednesday, March 14, 2012

BASKET 'O HERBS

We knew her...a nice Irish lass....
To celebrate the upcoming "green holiday" I found a large basket at Freddies, the perfect size for a mini herb garden. Now days you can easily plant a basket by using a "grow bag" or "smart pot," a very heavy fabric sewn into a square or round shape. It keeps the potting soil in place. Do use potting soil...worth the expense because it isn't as heavy as garden dirt.

I used small plants: parsley, chives, oregano, rosemary, dill, thyme (both English & Lemon) and some lettuce for fun. Later I'll add in some basil and repot the herbs that grow too big for the basket.

Here you can see the grow bag liner which I folded over to just above the basket height to keep the soil & water from overflowing into the basket. This basket is about 16" square and needs the cookie sheet for support until I place it out in the garden on something...yet to be determined. Meanwhile I can snip bits of herb with my scissors and it's happy in the greenhouse, out of the cold spring weather. .

No comments:

Post a Comment