Wednesday, January 13, 2016

GETTING MY EVERYDAY STYLE ON

 It's a new year and a new me, sort of. My resolution to dress more fashionably all the time started last year with dropping some weight and I'm not done yet. Then came the closet revamp. And now styling books are a start to understanding what works and what doesn't. All the books I got from Barnes & Noble are written by women. What amazes me is that they all felt that they had to justify writing a style book! 
Oh well, once you get through that first chapter, each book has some valuable insights on how to dress your particular body. Right now I am learning to "layer" using a cardigan over a thin, patterned top. I add a belt for waist definition. Admittedly, it's a work in progress, starting with the idea that just because I'm not leaving the house, I can still wear flattering clothes. Gee, it only took me 70 years to get over the mentality drummed into me from my mom's generation of "saving it for good!" And then there is the negative messages that we get from media that if we're not a perfect size or shape, we don't deserve to look nice. 
A good suggestion covered in several of the style books is to arrange your top closet by color. When I did that, I could see that I needed to  add more colors and patterns. As I said, a work in progress! 


No comments:

Post a Comment