Sunday, March 22, 2015

ARBOR DAYS

 We've added a new arbor to the garden. This one "anchors" the greenhouse into the garden scheme. It all started when I saw a photo of a potting shed with an attached trellis, lush vines sort of obscuring the lines of the building. Of course we couldn't attached anything our little plastic greenhouse...it had to be free standing. I wanted something for clematis and possibly a rose to climb...the idea being to blend the plastic greenhouse into the garden flora. Good idea, no?
 I dug 2 postholes...the first on the right side was easy digging but I ran into a black plastic pipe about 8" down on the left side. Turned out it was the telephone company line (we discovered this after my under-gardener sniped one end of the pipe..."Oh look, there are wires coming out of it...oh drat, oh sh..t!). The next day, an appointment with the Century Link man, a much enlarged hole and some splicing cannisters and some paperwork declaring the line "abandoned," I had to move my posthole inboard about 1 foot, still allowing the greenhouse door to open fully.  I did plant the clematis and rose and painted it "boxwood" green with Miller Storm, my garden paint of choice. 
So I thought, (still not over my "bright ideas" phase), I'd paint the other arbor. Of course it has 2 clematis and a New Dawn rose fully grown on it...how hard could it be? Several puncture wounds later, I managed to get paint on most of it and most of me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment