Tuesday, November 12, 2013

SOLEFUL SUPPER

I sorta vowed not to do another of Julia's recipes anytime soon after the chicken roasting/oven smoking event but...I couldn't resist picking up some frozen sole at Trader's. This recipe is easy and good as long as you remember that Julia never saw a cube of butter she didn't like!
The trick to this recipe is that you DO have to think ahead a bit and clarify some butter. I do it by melting a 1/2 cube of butter in a Pyrex cup and then sticking it into the fridge to harden. The white, watery milk solids will be on the bottom of the solid butter. Just wipe the bottom of the chunk of butter on a paper towel, wipe out the glass dish and put the butter back in it. It's now clarified so it won't burn so quickly.  
For this quick supper I sauteed some cooked Yukon Gold potatoes in a bit of olive oil. Then I cut up a strip of applewood smoked bacon, fried it and added about 1/2 a package of fresh Trader Joe's wild arugula along with some chopped pimento peppers I trying to use up.
Then I wiped out the pan, put it on medium high and added about 1 tablespoon of butter( half the amount that Julia recommends). I seasoned the fish, dusted it in flour, shaking off the excess and put it into the hot pan. It only takes about 2 minutes per side and you're done! I placed the sole on the bed of arugula and served it.
The fish was nice and crispy but not overdone. And I have to admit that the butter does add a nice flavor. The trick is to have the pan fairly hot so the sole will cook quickly. And my not as enthusiastic fish eater husband appreciated the potatoes. (We don't all like fish for breakfast like me, I guess)...

1 comment: