Thursday, November 14, 2013

CAT KILLER, CAT KILLER, CAT KILLER

I've been buying Trader Joe's bouquets for years and just found out that those nice lilies included in many bouquets are TOXIC TO CATS...
Seems that not only the foliage but the POLLEN can kill a cat by causing kidney failure. Looking back on this, it could explain the mysterious illnesses that our cat Izzie has had a couple of times...which included vomiting, lethargy and drooling. And it's not just oriental lilies...daylilies, tiger lilies (both of which I have in my garden) can also be toxic. I'll be digging these buggers up this winter and trashing them. WHO KNEW? You know how cats like to get up on counters and rub up on things...she probably got the sticky pollen on her fur and licked herself. Our vet, who is more of a dog guy, never mentioned this to me. He put our cat on antibiotics and she snapped out of it after about 4 days. And the blood screening did show a bit of reduction in kidney function as I recall. So we were lucky! If you need more proof, just go online and Goggle it. Tons of horror stories! 

Yeah, we're talking about you, Izzie!

No comments:

Post a Comment