Wednesday, September 18, 2013

HOME ON THE RANGE

Since 2011 I've been cooking on a range that is what I call a POS (piece o' sh....) The lady that rehabbed our little rancher must have run out of funds and had to find the cheapest new stove she could buy from Home Depot or Lowe's. Maybe she spent $200 for it! It likes to turn off midway through cooking and the oven takes forever to heat up to temp and then cooks unevenly so you have to rotate the baking sheet to get even browning...
I had held out hope that one day I could have a nice gas range again but there is no venting above the stove area so the expense of having someone cut a hole in the roof and install a vent, run the gas pipe and tear out part of the wall to put in the necessary connections would be way over our budget at this point. So I've reconsidered by looking at new smooth top induction electric ranges.
STOVEBUYING 101:
Right now the big hot button in ranges is dual ovens, meaning a small oven over a larger one. When I really thought about it, I realized I didn't need 2 ovens at this point in my cooking career...not cooking for a thrashing crew these days! So I have opted for all the bells and whistles I can get in a single oven, smooth top model. That means a warming area on top of the cooking surface, a dual burner option so I can use a griddle, a speed heat burner and a convection oven that heats up in 6 minutes (instead of 15 to 20 with my present model) and a lower warming drawer.
The next step is what about reliability? For this I consulted the local appliance store that services what they sell. I asked, "Are there any stoves made in the good old USofA?" Turns out that there are some. They did tell me to stay away from off shore products like LG or Sanyo because they have a hard time getting parts. They also said that nowadays no appliance product is dead bogg reliable...they can all have issues. Most only have a 1 year warrenty! Nice!
So I am hoping to adopt a Fridgidaire "professional series" range to the tune of about $1100.
The cash for this purchase is coming from the sale of a rebuilt Saab Sonett transmission! So here's hoping someone out there will step up and help me out by needing a transmission for their little baby Saab.

No comments:

Post a Comment