Wednesday, May 29, 2013

CROISSANT FRENCH TOAST

 I planned on having a Memorial Weekend extravaganza at Angel Crest Manor so I though with the weather so warm I'd do a mid-morning brunch out on the patio. I found this recipe for a French toast casserole made with croissants. It sounded yummy and would feed six or even 7 as I had planned on. The thing is you really need good croissants  ...not those papery dry ones from the supermarket! My quest for them ended at the local Artisan Bakery in Medford (who knew I didn't have to go to Ashland for 'em...in fact, the Apple Cellar Bakery in Ashland has closed and just gone wholesale.)
 The recipe calls for 8 cut up croissants, 10 eggs and lots of spices. You pour the egg mixture over the croissants, cover it in plastic wrap and let it osmos overnight in the fridge. Then you bake it the next morning for 30 minutes with sliced almonds on the top. Let it cool and dust with lots of powdered sugar. I served it with maple syrup and fresh local strawberries, accompanied by Trader Joe's chicken apple sausages and baked beans. Yummm!
We ended up eating inside as the weather was cool and rainy. And two of my invitees didn't come as planned so we had a bit left over. Their loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment