Wednesday, July 14, 2010

BLUEBERRY SEASON IN OREGON

OOOH! A blueberry/huckleberry crostada right out of the oven. I had to do it. The baskets of blueberries from the Rogue Valley Growers Market just begged me to bake 'em into a treat.



Wild Oregon huckleberries on the left and Oregon blueberries on the right. I like to combine them because the huckleberries have a much stronger taste with a bit of tartness.

I use the Barefoot Contessa's recipe. I make the crust in the food processor. The secret is to use FROZEN butter, as it is a very rich crust. After you refrigerate the dough for a few hours, you can roll it out very quickly on a sheet of floured parchment paper...makes moving it to the pie pan allot easier!


.

I use less sugar and Orange Marmalade for added flavor.

Here it is, served up with Umpqua vanilla ice cream. A true Oregon treat!

1 comment: