Tuesday, October 24, 2017

It's been a while since I've blogged...so here goes. I finally was able to access this blog after we got a new computer with Windows 10. Ugh!
This fall I made a trip to Minneapolis/Saint Paul with my brothers to place my mom's ashes on top of her mom's grave in Mound, Minnesota (SW of the Twin Cities) on Lake Minnetonka. It had been the better part of 60 years since we kids were back there.
The photo is of my cousin Jackie Kielkopf and my younger brother Dean Coy out in front of Jackie's house in St. Paul.
It was a quick trip but we managed to get the grave marker ordered and hold a service at the gravesite. We also stopped by the little house where mom grew up right on the banks of the lake.
It gave us all some closure on what had been a very disheartening time as mom's health failed and she went into severe dementia. At least we were able to honor her wish to return to Mound.
I was able to reconnect with my cousin after all this time. I feel like I missed out on a lot.
There is a PBS series titled "My Mother And Other Strangers." That could be applied to this situation as several people that I had never heard of attended the graveside service!





gravesid

No comments:

Post a Comment