Tuesday, April 21, 2015

IRISATIONAL

 The first iris to pop out is always a big event for this gardener! I think this is the iris named "Salt and Pepper" that came originally from Striblings in old downtown San Jose circa 1975 or so. It is a very dependable bloomer.
 Yes, we finished the lath painting! I "Tom Sawyered" the last panel and got help from my trusty under-gardener. I was about looney (how could you tell?)...well, loonier that normal by the time I got to it. We haven't kitted out the patio because we wait for the maple trees to dump their little winged seeds all over the place, up to inches deep in the gutters. Once that passes, we put up the umbrella and start living outdoors.

Every year I "rush the season" and put out my pole bean plants too early and have to shroud them in plastic and tarps until the night time temps get above 50. Unlike peas, they don't like cool weather. So I had myself talked into not starting bean seeds in pots until May 1. Oh well, so much for good intentions...! I just couldn't help myself. At least I will be able to wait until Mother's Day to put them out. Mother's Day is sort of the timeline for putting out the warm weather crops and annuals here in the Rogue Valley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment