Wednesday, October 8, 2014

WINDOWS ON MY WORLD

I get the desire this time of year (fall and again in the spring) to want to see out my windows. The build up of crud, water spots, spider webs and pollen/dust of summer make for some ugly window glass and screens. When I was working, I hired a guy to wash our windows for about $200 (we had 16' skylights and multi-pane French doors. I was glad not to have to do it myself! 
But nowadays, with only 12 windows in our little rancher and living on retirement income, we've had to do a lot of the "do it yourself" stuff. Luckily I watched how it was done. So I got the equipment, including the nifty washing head and the squeegee. I use ammonia...it's cheap and it works the best at cutting grease and grime. I use old towels for wiping down the sills and the squeegee. 
Jack kitted me out with an extension handle so I don't even have to use a ladder. It took about 4 hours to do them all, inside and out, along with the screens and our 3 mirrored closet sliders. 
This time I got smart and left off some of the screens for winter since we don't open those windows anyway. 
I swear it even makes the house smell better to get all that build up off the insides. And they look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment