Friday, June 6, 2014

SUGAR HIGH

The folks at Potato Garden in Austin, Colorado (where I get my certified potato seed) recommend treating the potatoes to a special tonic a couple of times during the growing season. They say in their informational flyer on growing potatoes, "The sugar in molasses is a good way to enhance the health of potatoes and the soil by feeding and multiplying the beneficial soil microbes." 
WHO KNEW? So today after topping up the plants with more soil (remember that the new potatoes grow in the soil on top of where you planted the seed potato, so frequent "hilling up" is required. Since I'm growing them in a raised bed, I'm actually topping them up with potting soil. I have been stirring my Haws watering can filled with water and about 1/2 cup molasses for a couple of days to get it mixed up. Today I poured it into the bed around the base of all the plants. Afterwards, I watered them thoroughly as it turns out I had a very rich potion (they recommend 1/2 cup in 5 gallons and my can is only 2.5 gal.) Oops! So we'll see if they have a tremendous growth spurt!  

No comments:

Post a Comment