Tuesday, January 7, 2014

FENCING WITH A PAINT BRUSH

I'm happy to report that I've finished staining the driveway fence...3 gallons of Miller paint and a lot of scraping later! My aim was to reduce the eyesore of a poorly built fence (my neighbor's) who evidently thought that he could save the expense of installing 2x4 stringers in between his fence posts by just using the fence boards instead...installing them horizontally. What an idiot! So I am stuck with a topsy turvy version of a "good neighbor" style fence. My options were to spend about $1000 to tear down and rebuild this fence or just paint it to be "invisible" for now. I chose to spend $100 and the sacrifice of 8 hours labor and my body. 
Happily, as far as I'm concerned, it was worth it! Next comes some ivy and Parthenosisus (Virginia Creeper) deer resistant vines to further disguise it. Since you cannot buy ivy in the State of Oregon, I have been propagating starts that I brought back from California, along with some that I moved from my previous residence (before ivy was declared an invasive species). I want it to be invasive enough to eventually cover up this fence!    

No comments:

Post a Comment