Wednesday, May 23, 2012

ROCKY DAY

I recently bought some Cactus Mix for potting up some succulents...I thought it would be great for them. And it was....but it was not so good for a certain Terrier named Chase who evidently found it irresistible.
Mainly the mix is pumice, little rocks, perlite, sand & worm castings (worm poop). See scoop below.
So while I was busy watering and generally messing about in the garden one morning, the dog was out helping himself to this stuff..
Later in the day he started acting funny and during the night he barfed up something. I of course stepped in it with bare feet the next morning, on my way to the kitchen for the first cuppa coffee. Lovely, I thought but sorta weird and sharp on the foot. What?
I took care of it, I thought, with a paper towel and had coffee. Then Chase barfed up some more, this time you could see the little rocks. I must have cleaned up about a teaspoon of them off the carpet. He was clearly very uncomfortable and a trip outside to the lawn yielded several results...all with little rocks in them.

What have we learned from this?
Dogs will eat anything (I once had a hound that ate batteries and lived)
A dog who eats rocks is gonna have a problem with both ends
I vacuumed up another bunch of rocks so I guess he must have eaten at least a tablespoon of the stuff...maybe two!
Worm poop is even better than cat poop as far as Chase is concerned but has much more dire results.



No comments:

Post a Comment