Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SHRIMP BOATS ARE A COMIN' FROM COSTCO

Thinking that the Memorial weekend would be a good time for a salad (you know...warm weather?), I planned a shrimp & pasta delight. I got a 2 lb bag of large uncooked shrimp (21-25 to the pound) at Costco. The day I made this, it was cold and rainy, so I served it warm.

I used orzo (the small rice-like pasta) and boiled it in water until it was almost done. Yeah, this is another one of Ina's recipes. (You could use a larger pasta or cut spaghetti.)
I roasted one pound of shrimp drizzled with olive oil on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees for only about 6 minutes until they are just pink. I added them to the warm cooked orzo, (about 1 cup of dry orzo makes enough for 2 people for 2 meals!) I added about 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (this is a key ingredient so don't make this if you don't have a juicy, fresh lemon) and an oil based dressing of choice (Parmesan or Italian works good) along with scallions, red onions, some halved cherry tomatoes and a diced, seeded cucumber. (I skipped the feta cheese cubes called for, as Mr. A doesn't like feta.)


Toss well and let it sit out for an hour so the dressing & lemon juice go into the pasta. Then you either want to refrigerate it for later or heat it for immediate use.

Served on a bed of shredded fresh spinach with a nice slice of baguette makes a good lunch or dinner. Good hot or cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment