Tuesday, May 31, 2011

DON'T CRY FOR ME...INA GARTEN

Got a big bag of Vidalia onions on sale at Freddies...
Since I usually can't use up that many onions before they start to sprout, I had to think fast.


Ina Garten's (aka the Barefoot Contessa) recipe for onion soup would be perfect for another cold May day and using up onions! So I shed a few tears and let the food processor do the work.

I used 5 onions and cooked them on medium high to caramelize them.

Brandy and white wine are the secret ingredients, along with beef STOCK...not broth. I also add chicken broth or stock. A bay leaf is good too. (Ina calls for veal stock instead of chicken but when was the last time you saw veal...much less veal stock...in the supermarket?)

A little crispy bacon and Parmesan toast on the top makes a great lunch on a chilly day. Mr. A pronounced it "Excellent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment