Thursday, May 29, 2014

JUST A DAY IN MY GARDEN

 Chase and I are enjoying one of those rare events...me being in the garden but not doing garden chores. Actually I'm reading my favorite new garden book, "BACK IN THE GARDEN WITH DULCY." This book is a compilation of her gardening columns, put together by her husband Ted. She was the garden writer for The Oregonian for 22 years until she passed away in 2011 at the tender age of 69. What made her so special was that she didn't just preach about what you should be doing in the garden year after year. She let us in on her own garden failures as well as triumphs. She could laugh at herself when things didn't go right in the garden.
 Here's a must have in the garden...an old Fiat transmission...you don't have one, you say? Have I got a deal for you! Actually this treasure didn't last long here and was hauled away by a Fiat enthusiast just last night before I had a chance to tip it up on end and fill it with succulents. Oh well, my loss! 
 Meet "Radiant Perfume" the yellowist rose I know. It is almost blindingly yellow against the green backdrop. I'm surprised it wasn't named "Taxicab." I guess that is not a fitting rose name...and it does have a fantastic scent. 
  My favorite garden ornament...Isabella, the black and white unit, sharpening her claws and hanging out amidst the flora looking for a tender morsel of bug or lizard...
And finally, the beautiful Double Delight...named for its cream petals with hot pink edging and its terrific scent. A "must have" rose in any garden!
We have to enjoy these temperate days...mid 70's when no one is stressed by heat, including the gardener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment