Friday, February 14, 2014

ROCKY START TO VALENTINE'S DAY

"She never saw a gravel truck she didn't like!" That's what Mr. A says about me and it just might be true. 
Today started off before 8 a.m. with coffee, cinnamon buns, valentine cards and a big ass 10 yard dump of gravel. Ah, nothin' says lovin' like 10 yards of three-quarter minus! I gifted our gravel truck driver, Frank, with a cinnamon bun for his exceptional work at "spreading" the gravel with his finessing the dumping process. 
Since the onset of winter our country driveway has turned into a mud bog. The gravel virtually disappeared into the expanding clay soil as about 100 suv's drove down our driveway to look at the house for rent across from us. We had put down 10 yards 3 years ago but it was clear we needed a "refresher." 
Yesterday whilst I was checking out at Trader Joe's, the clerk asked me if I had plans for Valentine's Day. I told him I was getting 10 yards of 3/4 minus gravel. The lady behind me started to chuckle. and then she told me this story...
"I work as a volunteer at the Crater Rock Museum," she said, " and we have groups of school kids in to learn about rocks. So I ask them if they know what the State Rock of Oregon is...(the thunder egg, by the way). One little fellow raised his hand tentatively and said that he thought the state rock was called something like three-quarter minus!"
Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment