Monday, June 3, 2013

DO OVERS

Most of our cukes got bacterial wilt and turned to mush this past week. Yes, I'm the poster child for why you should rotate crops. I grew cukes in the same bed as last year and the larvae of the cucumber beetles are in the soil. WHO KNEW? They feed on the roots of the cuke plants infecting them with the bacterial wilt. It causes them to look like they are wilting from lack of water.  At first they recover over night but after a couple of days they just go limp and die. I did manage to rescue one plant (burpless cuke) that seems to be resistant or just wasn't attacked yet. I put it into a fiber pot on the left with new Fox Farm potting soil. So far so good. So it was down to the valley for some new plants at the Grange. Luckily they had just received their last shipment of baby plants from the Ashland Greenhouses. I used a grow bag with new soil. Ohhh, looking forward to those cukes. Now I just have to watch for signs of cucumber beetles and spray with the natural pesticide.

No comments:

Post a Comment