Friday, September 7, 2012

I HEAR BELLS (PEPPERS) THAT IS

Did I mention it's been a good year for tomatoes? It's also a good year for peppers....TOO GOOD! Even the local food banks can't take any more PEPPERS from gardeners this year! Here at Angel Crest Manor, we've had some help from the raccoons who have managed to get to about 25% of the crop...they only like the ripe ones, of course. Me too! Red, yellow or purple, they are nice and sweet. Where I've usually have two or three peppers per plant, I have up to 10 this year!
So time to get real and chop 'em up, along with summer squash, onions, green tomatoes, eggplant ( I have 16 on one bush!)  Saute them up with some nice Lucero (that's California olive oil from Corning) and you get a mirepoix, melange (pardon my hideous French spelling) or sludge of goodness. I'll freeze it in small amounts (1 cup per vac pack) to add to soups, stews or roasts in the crock pot for added flavour dimension this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment