Wednesday, April 18, 2012

GRAVELICIOUS!


Did I mention that I hate grass?
My grass eradication program has been ongoing since 1972, when I first dug out grass in another life in Grants Pass. I've been steadily removing sod all these years...if I had a dime for every square foot of stupid green stuff I've shoveled out...
I even got an interview and write up in the Mail Tribune gardening section about removing sod when I moved to Medford in 1987. I was just ahead of my time, I guess.
So I've wised up in recent times and instead of digging out sod, I just cover it over with good quality landscape fabric...the stuff that comes in rolls that you can buy at the garden centers. On top of that goes yards of small gravel...used to use pea gravel but have recently discovered "quarter by ten" which is about the size of pea gravel but angular so it compacts.
So the new garden sits on about a 25' x 30' section of former lawn.
Don't you just love that nice crunchy sound as you walk around in the garden?

1 comment: