Thursday, June 23, 2011

1944

Mom sent me this great "card-let" for my birthday. It's filled with fun facts about stuff in 1944, the year I popped out.

Who knew the average rent was $50. Gas was 15 cents a gal. A postage stamp cost 3 cents. Bread was 10 cents a loaf and coffee was 48 cents a pound. Of course, the average wage was about $2400 a year! You could go to the movies for 40 cents and get an ice cream for 5 cents.

My folks celebrated my birth by buying a 1941 Chevy Club Coupe to replace the very tired 1929 Model A they came to California in. Since my dad worked for IBM doing "essential war work" he didn't have to worry about gas rations.
It's tempting to think "times were simpler then", but of course D-Day had just happened 2 weeks before my birth and no one knew when the war would end.

No comments:

Post a Comment