Monday, April 19, 2010

Oh Hail! A Wrap Up


Just a few minutes after I uncovered the corn to get some sun, I heard a roaring sound and realized that we were going to get hail. By the time I got out to the garden, it was white all over. Luckily the hail only lasted 2 minutes or so ( just long enough to get all the tarps put up and soak me to the skin) and it was small pea-sized stuff.

Spring gardening in the Rogue Valley involves lots of plastic (not the spending kind) but the draping kind...all over the plants to avoid getting burned by a late frost or cold temps or wind or hail...


My peppers live in a cloche of plastic for protection, wall 'o waters for heat and shade cloth for avoiding sun scald and remay for bug avoidance, special vinyl coated frames from Gardener's Supply...peppers are my prima donas, always needing something from me.


Butts up, looking at the progress of my cucumbers in their little A-frame hotel with wire, plastic, shade cloth and special dried oat grass bedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment